Swiftype now enabled

swiftypeWith my contact tweaking and screwing with Fauxzen I decided to enable Swiftype.  It just went active on the site today and so far it has been flawless and the indexing from the blog to their site was fast and flawless.
Don’t get me wrong the standard built in WordPress search seems to work great on a daily basis, but Swiftype offers some really cool features that just aren’t there or well in actuality probably needed for a normal users WordPress install.
They outline some key features on their site like Drag and Drop ranking for one. The Drag and Drop ranking this will let you order the way search results are found.  This could be really handy if you have paid posts/ads on your site and you want to channel traffic to post X instead of Y when people are searching for W.
They also offer realtime analytics of searches, this again can really help you tune your site to provide more relevant information, as well as helping you see what kind of things interest your site visitors when they come to your site. The one that really sold me which while simple and not all that amazing was the auto-complete feature, the little bit of eye candy is really nice and may help people find other entries that the normal search might not have yielded.
Installing Swiftype was a walk in the park, they provide a nice WordPress plugin that you install and plug in your API key that you get from your account on their site. Once you have done that there is a simple button to click to have their crawler index all the pages on your site.  Thats it, no extensive configurations that end up taking the better part of the day to setup.
Overall it has been less than a day so far using Swiftype but I think I might keep it around for a while. I am very interested to see how much their pricing ends up being once out of public beta as that will more than likely be the determining factor for me if I end up keeping it installed or now. So go ahead and go give it a try.

Hardcode WordPress blog URL

I find myself using this little snippet of code that is added to the wp-config.php file quite a lot these days with customers that are migrating from one host to another and need to use a testing URL.  Simply adding the following lines of code to the wp-config.php will force WordPress into using that URL instead of the one specified within the database for things.

 

Happy Late New Year!

Well looking back I have been pretty bad about posting, always stating I will be posting on a regular basis…. never seems to happen.  Anyways its a new year and I am going to try to make the same promise again.  I have been wanting to post on a more frequent basis these days, but for some reason I never find the time to actually site and do so.  I mildly blame Reddit and Imgur for this as they seem to occupy more and more of my free time.

Anyways I have slowly been addressing some issues on my site, removing plugins, adjust themes the whole 9 yards.  I was initially working on a custom theme, but really who has the time to sit down and do that. The other day I went out and purchased a copy of the Standard theme which I am currently running.  Overall it seems to have sped up the site quite a bit (though this could also be due tot he fact I have removed a ton of plugins, and cleaned up the database too). Its a pretty nice theme and looks like something that I will be able to build off of as time allows.

Well anyways happy late new years to everyone and really I hope to be posting a bit more frequent this year…

Site is not broken…

While I know the site looks like its missing the stylesheet, it really isn’t.  I have been messing around trying to make the site as fast loading and as minimal as possible… so it should start to take better shape soon enough.