Well, let’s see I was born August 7th, 1980 at 2:17 pm in good old Lansing Michigan. Over the years I grew up did this and did that, somewhere along the way I took a liking to computers and really excelled at it. From the BBS days on a 1200 baud modem to working in multiple data centers with multiple provider connections coming in.
After spending 24 winters in that cold gloomy state I decided it was time for a change to experience what lies outside of Michigan, so in July of 2005, I decided to move to Sunny California to see what it could bring me in life. I worked for an outdoor lighting company as their Director of Media Technology (Pretty much a fancy title for saying I edited photos, managed a blog, and helped the owner send emails). I moved from that to working at another Web Hosting company.
After spending a few years in Los Angeles, I moved to Las Vegas for a year and after a very hot summer in Las Vegas, I decided to move back to Los Angeles once again. That time around it was short-lived and I found myself back in Las Vegas dealing with the extreme heat. After a couple of years of being back in Las Vegas in 2013, I decided it was time to make another move, this time to the mountains of Colorado. I ended up choosing Boulder, Colorado which was an amazing change from Vegas. After being in Boulder I did a short stint living in downtown Denver right off Colfax which was a great location, and a lot more walkable than I expected. After a visit back to Michigan for a friend’s funeral, and meeting up with a girl I had a crush on throughout most of school, I decided that after being away for 11yrs it to move back to my hometown of Okemos, Michigan. On January 20th, 2017 I hit the road and made that same drive that I made in 2005 when I started my journey out West.
Just before moving to Colorado I started working with Laughing Squid Hosting as a system administrator which allowed for the move as well as starting my own business (sd3labs, LLC now defunct). After 5yrs with Laughing Squid Hosting, I decided to move on and take a job with Pressed.net a White-Label Fully Managed WordPress Hosting company, which was eventually acquired by Envato where I was added to their Hosting Support team. I spent most of my days handling escalations, reviewing and onboarding themes for the now-defunct hosted platform, as well as creating various internal scripts to help the team.
Once Envato decided to close our department I took some time to work on some personal side projects and random contract work, that was until I was approached by Kinsta and am now their Sales Engineer, a role that I never thought I would really like but so far has been one of the most fulfilling ones ever.
About the Site:
In my many years of being on the net, I have had many sites, Filthcentral.net, Systm.io, ShelbyDenike.com, SystmWeb.com, 7pounds.net, RubberOlives.com, Minify.us, Pict.mobi, Createmy.pw, VidThumb.com, TechFaqs.net, 878Studios.com, etc. I decided that I wanted a place to express myself and also play with web technologies so I purchased Fauxzen.com. I have been running the site with this domain since Feb 2004 and will likely continue to renew it each and every year. Fauxzen uses WordPress, a slew of plug-ins to make it function the way that I see fit, and of course, is running on my Managed WordPress hosting platform.
Facts: Updated 02.23.2018
- I can cook really well… on a grill, ask me to bake a cake and I will fail. I have recently branched out into making some awesome home-made pizza, as well as egg rolls and various other dishes with my fancy cooking gear that I acquire much too often.
- I used to only use Mozilla Firefox but recently discovered Chrome… and since OS X 10.11 I switched back to Safari since it allowed for the proper usage of switching tabs that all other browsers have had for decades.
- I was pretty sheltered when it came to food, being raised on the all American meal of Burgers, Pizza, and Meat Loaf but over the years I have branched out and will usually give just about anything a try.
- I am STILL addicted to Twitter
- I have given up on Gentoo and stick to Ubuntu on all of my Linux Machines
I think that Las Vegas is the single greatest place in the world, it’s like an adult Disney Land.
- I tried the vegetarian route for a month once and may try it again sometime in the future… but not anytime soon as it was so boring.
- If I start a movie I will watch it no matter how bad it is. Unless it is Journey to the Center of the Earth, that movie is absolute crap.
- I am a big fan of screen (as it has saved my ass on many occasions when it comes to crap connections.)