While my goto is certainly the Chicken Tikka Masala Instant Pot recipe, I was looking for something that was a bit milder. I came across the following Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe that looked like it would fit the bill.
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced (or paste)
- 1 cup tomato puree or passata
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting.
- Add the butter and cook until the butter has melted. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute or until the garlic becomes aromatic. Do not overcook the garlic as you do not want it to burn.
- Add the tomato puree, and paste to the Instant Pot and stir. Now add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, and salt to the Instant Pot, stir and then cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, water, and stir it all together. There should be enough liquid in the pot to cover the chicken, you may need to add more water.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and then set the Instant Pot to the Poultry setting and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. You can use the quick release if you are in a rush.
- Now switch the Instant Pot back to the saute mode (Make sure to leave the lid off at this point). Add the whipping cream, and let simmer for another 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken and reduce a bit. Make sure not to reduce it too much though.
- You can dish up the butter chicken and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve warm over rice and with naan and enjoy!